Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Chapter Nine

Photo By Stewart Chambers
Jessica Bergman, 28, was going to have an unusually nasty tumble down three flights of stairs very shortly.  She had just clocked out at work, and was hurrying to get her things together and get the hell out of the office so she could, with any luck, be just a tiny bit ahead of the rush hour traffic.  She worked the night shift in a medical billing office, temporarily, as she hunted for a better job that was actually in her field: forensic psychology.

At the moment, however, there didn’t seem to be a lot of full-time openings for forensic psychologists in San Diego.

She was working at an office in Chula Vista, but she actually lived near downtown San Diego with five of her girlfriends in a two bedroom apartment.  Working a night shift in the suburbs and living downtown meant that she had to deal with the morning commute, only she was trying to get home and go to sleep.

It was a royal drag.

Death, Andi and Philip arrived outside the office where Jessica worked, just as she was picking up her purse and heading for the exit.

“Wait here, please, you two,” Death said as she hustled towards the building.  Andi followed her.

“I’m coming with,” she said.

Philip, with every ounce of disgust he could cram into his voice, said, “What’s wrong with you?  You want to watch someone die?”

This stopped Andi in her tracks.

“It’s not like I enjoy it,” Andi said.  “It just seems wrong to be here and look the other way while someone dies.”

“Don’t you think people might want a little privacy?”

“Don’t you think people might need a little support?”

The argument escalated from there.  Andi may have, at one point, called Philip a poopy-head.  When she got really angry, she had a tendency to use childish language.

Death, meanwhile, had hurried inside and stationed herself at the top of the bottom of the stairs.  She had her notebook and stopwatch out, and the stopwatch was ticking down Jessica’s final seconds already.  They had just barely made it in time.  Sloppy, and stressful.

She heard, about three floors up, a stairwell door slam against the wall as someone hurried through it.  Death marked off an item on her list, and listened attentively as Jessica rushed down the stairs.  One flight, then two.

Then a gasp and the sounds of a body tumbling down the stair.  It sounded like Jessica had almost managed to get her feet under her, but stumbled and fell down the next flight of stairs as well.

Falling down the third flight of stairs was just bad luck.  Inertia had bounced her off the wall and then gravity did the rest.  Jessica’s battered body came to rest just a couple feet away from where Death stood.

“Well,” Jessica’s soul said, while looking down at her body, “I guess I don’t have to worry about rush hour today.  Go me!”

She didn’t actually sound very enthusiastic about this outcome.

“No, you don’t,” Death said to her.  “Would you come with me Jessica?”

“Sure, why not?” Jessica said.

Death led her away from the stairwell, and towards the building’s exit.

“I have to admit, I’m a little surprised that death doesn’t involved a light at the end of a tunnel, or, like, my dead family members waiting to greet me or something,” Jessica said.

“Well, you’ll get to see the light shortly.  I couldn’t tell you about any family members waiting for you, though.  At the moment, we just have to go and get the others,” Death said.  She sounded a little apologetic.

“What others?  Who are we getting?” Jessica said.

“Andi and Philip.  They’re dead too,” Death said.  “They’ve been waiting outside.”

The two of them stepped outside, and saw Andi and Philip turn to see them.  Death led Jessica over to them.

“So you two have been waiting here while I died?” Jessica said.

“Yeah, I guess so,” Philip said.

“So, what, like I’m an inconvenience?  The skinny bitch here had something to attend to, and you weren’t interested enough to come inside?”  Jessica said.

Death was somewhat offended, but Andi spoke first.

She said, to Philip, “See, I told you.”

“Hey it’s not my job to go watch people die.  Can we get on with this?  The looming unknown is starting to get to me.  A lot,” Philip said.

“Oh, well, you poor baby.  Sorry my death kept you from a pressing appointment,” Jessica said.

Death rolled her eyes, then caught herself and felt mildly ashamed. 

“Andi, can I trust you to stay here for just a couple minutes?  No running off, please,” Death said.

“Um, sure, I guess,” Andi said.  She was a little puzzled.

Death turned to Philip and Jessica.  She stretched out her hands.

“Would both of you take my hands, please?” Death said.

Andi was watching intently, and expected the two of them to argue with Death.  Instead, the both seemed to realize they were being silly, calmed down, and took Death’s hands.  The three of them vanished.  Andi was a little disappointed with the lack of spectacle.  They didn’t fade into transparency.  There wasn’t a flash of light or anything. It was just as if they had never even been there.

She stood outside the office building where Jessica had worked, and wondered how long she would be there before Death returned.  She wondered a little bit about what Death had said about going mad during an eternity of solitude.  She was curious about how long it would take for the madness to kick in.  There were, after all, a couple people she wouldn’t mind haunting.  Just to teach them a thing or two.

Andi had just barely started to maybe consider wandering off and having a little fun before going to the Great Beyond when Death reappeared.

So much for that.

Death pulled her phone out of her cloak, and checked when the next appointment was.  She had eight minutes.  She was relieved, that meant she’d have time to bring Andi to the other side, and go get her motorcycle again before the next collection.

Her motorcycle.

In all the rushing around, she’d forgotten which collection she’d left it at.  Crap.  She suspected she’d left it at Andi’s dorm.  That made the most sense.  It was possible it was at Philip’s house, though.

Andi had waited patiently for a minute or so while Death stood there, apparently lost in thought.

“So what’s next?” Andi asked Death, when she couldn’t stand it any longer it.

Death blinked a few times, shook her head, and looked at Andi.

“Next,” Death said, “I bring you to the other side.  Then I go get my motorcycle, which I think I left outside your dorms, and then I go collect Arthur Quimbly.”

Andi got excited. 

“You have a motorcycle?” she said. “That is so cool!”

“Oh, yeah, I do.  Um. Thanks,” Death said.  She reached out to Andi, and said, “Take my hand, please.”

Andi ignored this and said, “Can I see it?”

“My hand? Yes, it’s right in front of you.  Are you unable to see it?”

“No, your motorcycle,” Andi said.

Death was stunned.  No one had ever asked her that before.  Of course, now that she thought about it, she hadn’t told very many people that she had a motorcycle in the first place.  She wasn’t exactly sure how to respond, so she said the first thing that comes to mind.

“Sure, I guess,” Death said.

“Cool!” Andi said.  She was grinning widely now.

Death was a little puzzled that anyone would care that she had a motorcycle.  And she wasn’t sure why she’d agreed to Andi’s request, but it probably couldn’t hurt anything, so she decided to just roll with it.

“Take my hand please,” Death said.  “I think I left it outside your dorm.”

Andi took Death’s hand, and almost instantly they were back outside her dorm.  Andi looked around at the building and snow-covered ground around the dorm, and was amazed at how something that had been so ordinary just a little while ago already seemed old and kind of foreign.

She noticed the snow-covered grounds again.  Something seemed funny about it.  It would come to her, though, she was sure.

“Here it is, just where I left it,” Death said.

Parked next to the building, barely out of the way of the foot traffic in and out of the dorm (none of which, by the way, so much as realized there even was a motorcycle to walk around) was the longest, lowest, most black, most spectacularly shiny shiny motorcycle Andi had ever seen.  She wondered if the metal wasn’t chrome but polished silver, then decided that was just impossible.

“Wow,” Andi said.  “That’s pretty.”

The snow reflected light up onto the bike from underneath.  It almost seemed to glow.

The snow. 

Suddenly Andi realized what was weird.  She looked around at the snow some more, and then at herself.  She was wearing the jeans and t-shirt she’d been wearing when she died.

“Shouldn’t we be cold?  And don’t you freeze riding that in the winter?” she said.

Death smiled.  “The temperature doesn’t really matter when you’re dead.  And the cold doesn’t really bother me.  It’s not like I ride real far in the cold anyway.”

Gears were still turning in Andi’s head.  She had another thought.

“Was it your motorcycle I kept hearing but not seeing over the last couple of months?” Andi said.

Death was shocked again.

“Well,” Death said, “I guess it could have been.  But people don’t usually hear me or see me or really notice me at all.  It’s kind of my thing, not being noticed.”

“But I noticed you in that coffee shop,” Andi said.

“Well, I was getting coffee that time,” Death began, but Andi interrupted her before she could finish.

“Did anyone else notice you in there?”

“Well, no,” Death admitted.

Andi looked a little freaked out.  “So I’ve been hearing you riding around collecting people…”

“I guess it’s possible,” Death said.

Death’s phone beeped at her.  It was time to get to the next collection.  She checked the time, and saw she still had three minutes.  She should be able to bring Andi over, and get back to make the collection, though she’d probably have to come back, again, for her bike.

“Well, Andi, this has been fun, but I need to get you to the other side.  My next collection is a nasty car wreck, and I don’t want you to have to watch it.  I’ve got to collect eight people this time.”

Andi’s brain was still running at full speed.

“Eight? Wow.  That’s a lot.  How do you do that? I mean, you can only bring two people over at a time, right?”

Death wasn’t expecting that question, and answered before thinking about it.  She should have just grabbed Andi and hustled to the gateway.

“No, I can bring as many people as I need to,” Death said.

“So why did you make me wait while you brought Philip and Jessica over?” Andi asked.

“I… don’t know,” Death said. 

Her phone beeped at her again.  She needed to get to the next collection immediately. 


“Crap.  You’re going to have to come with me for this.  You know, you really don’t have to watch,” Death said.