Sunday, November 24, 2013

Chapter Nineteen

Photo by Dominik Schwind
Death and Andi had not had time to even try to get something to eat in quite a while.  The amount of time between each of the collections seemed to be getting shorter and shorter, and it had taken Andi quite a while to get the hang of travelling.  Between finding Andi after each mis-step, and getting to the collections on time, finding time to get some food was out of the question.

Andi had, however, finally managed to get the knack for travelling.  After a few huge mis-steps (she did end up in Africa once, but was relieved to not find herself staring down any puzzled lions.  And she had wound up in an abandoned mine one time.), she gotten a little better, bit by bit, until now she could arrive pretty close to exactly where she’d intended to.

And, as time passed and Andi didn’t let any more souls wander off alone, Death had begun to trust her a little more again.

So today, between the collections of a thirty nine year old nurse and a seventy eight year old retired bus driver, Death asked Andi to go and get some cheeseburgers.

“Something easy to eat on the move, please,” Death had said.  “As good as a super bacon mega mayo barbeque holy hell cheese burger sounds, that’ll require too much focus I think.  Something small will do.  Get eight or so.”

So, with those instructions in mind, Andi had set out to find a fast food place where she could get a sack of easy to manage burgers.

She came back with a bag full of burgers while Death was in the middle of a collection.  The bag had photos of people doing healthy things like playing soccer, climbing mountains, and other such things that people who regularly ate at that restaurant were unlikely to be doing any time soon.  Andi wondered if the bag was supposed to be aspirational, or just supposed to soothe one’s guilt.  Either way, it was a bag chock full of unhealthy deliciousness.

In looking at the bag, a question occurred to Andi.

“You’re not dead like me, are you?” Andi said to Death.

Death was paying attention to the events going on in the room around them.  A drug deal was about to go bad, and it took a lot of focus to keep things progressing the way they were supposed to.

“No, I’m immortal.  Why do you ask?” Death said.

“Well, I was just thinking about this sack of burgers, and the fact that it’s not exactly healthy food,” Andi said.

Death chuckled slightly, and said,  “When you only get to eat once every few years, a few extra calories and grease are hardly a problem.”

“That’s not what I meant.  I was just wondering if you ever get sick.  I mean, does anything ever knock you on your butt for a few days?” Andi said.  “Or is that a total non-concern for you?”

Death though carefully about how to answer, as gunfire erupted in the room and the people who hadn’t been shot scattered for cover. 

She hadn’t ever been sick, exactly, although she had gotten depressed that one time and stayed in bed rather than face the world for a while.  But Andi didn’t really need to know about that.

Unlike on TV, the gun fight didn’t go on and on.  The people closest to an exit took their first opportunities and ran for it.  The final death toll was just one person, a man who really should have known that the word “motherfucker” will never result in the de-escalation of a bad situation.

“No,” Death said to Andi, “I can’t think of a time that I’ve ever gotten sick.  I don’t worry about it at all, actually.”

The soul of the man who had been shot said, “Am I dead?”

“Yes,” Death said.

“Thank God,” he said.  He sounded like it was a huge relief.

He went peacefully and agreeably with Death and Andi to the gateway, and crossed over without incident.

“Well, that was a little strange,” Andi said.

“Was it?” Death said.  “Hey, can I have one of those burgers while we talk?”

“Oh, of course,” Andi said.  She pulled out a cheeseburger wrapped in wax paper and handed it to Death, who did her best to not snatch it out of Andi’s hand and laugh with glee.  It was important to maintain some decorum.

Andi continued, “So, yeah, I don’t think I’ve been along on any collections where the person seemed relieved to be dead.”

Death was holding the still-wrapped burger under her nose, savoring the moment and doing her best to enjoy all of the sensory pleasures presented by the first food she’d gotten her hands on in close to three years.

“Oh,” Death said.  “Well, I guess he was a little more vocal about it than most, but it seems to me that a lot of folks are actually relieved.  I’m not sure if it’s because they’re looking forward to the afterlife, or if it’s simply that now they don’t have to worry about how they’re going to die anymore, or what.  I guess it’s a different experience for everyone.”

Death was slowly unwrapping her cheeseburger, loving the feel of the wrapper and the crinkling sounds it made as she re-arranged the wax paper so she could hold the burger and not spill any ketchup or grease on herself as she ate it.

She had it arranged just the way she liked it when her phone rang.  Death exhaled sharply, exasperated, and took her phone out of her pocket while muttering, “what the hell is it now?”

What it was just so happened to be was another immediate collection.  Two people this time.

Death rolled her eyes.

“Come on, we’ve got work to do,” she said to Andi.

Andi had exactly enough time to recognize that they were now in a bar of some sort, and that there was a brawl going on, when she saw something unexpected.

A man’s head, recently separated from his body, flew past her and knocked the burger out of Death’s hand. 

Andi knew that Death was probably not going to be very happy about that, but she didn’t even have time to say something before a headless body flew into her, knocking the bag of burgers out of her hand and into the fireplace.

A fireplace? Andi thought.  We must be in a pub, then.

Then she thought, Death is going to flip out.

She looked, and saw an expression of surprise cross Death’s face before being replaced almost immediately with a look of pure fury.

Another head rolled past Andi’s feet, and she heard a crash somewhere in the room that she assumed was the body that head had recently been attached too.

What had been a brawl turned into a stampede as the patrons of the pub tried to flee from the person beheading other patrons.  When Andi had her bearings, she saw that the one person not fleeing was a rather muscular man in black leather.

“God damn it, Ares!” Death shouted.  “It’s bad enough that I had to interrupt a meal in order to come and deal with more collections because you lost your temper again, but then you have to go and knock the food out of my hand, and then cause the rest to get ruined in the fireplace?”

Ares spun around from what he’d been doing, which was attempting to start the bar on fire, to see who was yelling at him.

“Oh, shit, I’m sorry about your lunch.  I didn’t see you there or I would have totally thrown that guy the other way,” Ares said.  “I’ll buy you dinner sometime to make it up to you, OK?”

He gave Death his most charming smile.

“Dinner sometime doesn’t make up for the fact that I’m overworked as it is and I’ve just missed out on a meal,” Death said.

“Well, you know how it is.  Some people just need killing,” Ares said.

The two souls, who had been pretty good friends in life, watched all of this with matching looks of confusion and displeasure.

“I don’t think I needed killing,” one of them said.  “I’m pretty sure I just happened to be in your general area and you grabbed me and yanked my head off.”

“Yeah, well, you were in the brawl, so you weren’t totally innocent,” Ares said.

“Actually, I was just trying to get out of here,” the soul said.

“Me too,” the other soul said.

“Well, whatever, I don’t have to explain myself to a couple of dead guys,” Ares said.  “Sorry, Death, I’ll buy you and your intern there a meal sometime to make it up, but for now, I’ve got to split.  See ya.”

Ares vanished.

“Well that guy is an asshole,” the first soul said. 

“Are you telling me?” Death said.

The soul glanced at Death, and then decided the best thing to do would be to stay quiet and hope there weren’t ways she could make things a little worse for them.

The second soul, who wasn’t quite as perceptive as the first, started talking then.

“You know, this is bullshit.  I just came down here to the bar to have a couple of beers and hang out, and then I hear some shouting and before I know it there’s a brawl and then when I’m trying to get out of the bar and stay out of trouble, some guy that looks like he should be a bad guy for the WWF grabs on to my head and pulls it off, which fucking hurt by the way, and now you’re being rude too?  When did everyone become a total asshole?  Was it just today or have things been slowly getting worse without me noticing or what?” he said.

Andi and the first soul stared at him, amazed that he was willing to just start ranting when Death was standing right there, looking like she was ready to get a little bit smite-y herself.  Andi wondered, like the first soul, what kind of awful retribution was going to befall the second soul.

What happened is that Death blinked a few times, and started laughing.

“Oh, my friend, I think things have been slowly getting worse for a while…” Death said, still laughing a bit.  “Sorry, you two have had a rough day, and you don’t need me making it worse just because I missed lunch.  There will be other lunches.”

She reached out to both of the souls, smiling and giggling a little bit, “Would you two come with me please?”

Death and the two souls crossed over, leaving Andi in the pub trying to figure out what the hell had just happened.

When Death got back, she said to Andi, “what a day, huh?”

“I guess so,” Andi said.  “So, uh, how are you able to just switch your patience back on like that?  I was expecting you to unleash hell on that guy.”

Death smiled and said, “I have to do my job first, and have tantrums second.  So I try to keep in mind that the souls I’m collecting should feel comforted.  Rescued, even.  I’m not here to beat up on them.”

“Rescued, got it,” Andi said.  She looked around a bit at the wreckage of the pub.  It was empty now.  “You know, I bet we could find something to eat in here.  It is, after all, a pub.  They have food.”

“No, that wouldn’t be right,” Death said.  “Come on, we’ll just have to try again somewhere else.”

“OK, if you say so,” Andi said. 

“I say so,” Death said.